Sunday, December 30, 2007

Two Little Men In a Flying Saucer

This story starts many years ago when I was a little boy, sadly my parents had divorced and my father who had custody of us children was struggling to cope with a full-time job as well as looking after us. In the end what he decided to do was reluctantly put us all in care, so off we went to what I now think was a reception centre, that I vaguely remember was full of adults and children all in one great big room.

People talk about false memory, but the one thing I remembered about the place was a song that kept being played the title which is “Two little Men In A Flying Saucer” which was a catchy little song, but seemed to be totally unrelated to anything going on in the place.

Years passed and I never heard the song again, although occasionally it would pop into my head and as time went on I could become quite boring on the subject, I was tempted to contact the BBC, because the memory of the record never went away and it would have helped if only they could have confirmed that the song existed.

Well now it's 50 years and more since that experience and the song was still niggling at the back of my mind, so now having some computer experience, and within my limitations an ability to search the Internet, at long last I googled it, guess what there it was I wasn't dreaming, even more interestingly it was for sale at Amazon, so I quickly went to their site, found the link to play as short piece of the song and there it was just as I remembered, I finally discovered that it had been sung by Ella Fitzgerald.

Straightaway I ordered the CD that had the song on, uncertain because it was coming from America whether or not it would be a good copy or even arrive, but good old Amazon, I received an e-mail from the company confirming delivery.

Finally the day came and a small package arrived so I rushed to my CD player and tried it out, there it was the funny little song from all those years ago, and quite catchy as well.

Well is there a moral in this story, firstly if we remember something, carry on believing that it was true, don't waste time go out and prove you were right, and finally its strange in life that something so unhappy is going into care can have such a lovely link, if I could work out how to put the music somewhere that you could find it I would do, maybe some bright intelligent person will tell me how I can put it on my other blog.

Just in case I have tempted you, sadly Amazon no longer have the record listed, if people really wanted to hear it maybe I will be encouraged to put it on the blog, I hope you enjoyed the read

No comments: